Sunday 18 October 2015

Not buying things - the story so far

At the beginning of September I set myself a challenge to not buy unnecessary 'things' for a year. I'm now seven weeks into the challenge and I thought it would be good to review how it's going so far.

Has it been difficult?


So far, it's been easier than I expected. As someone who likes shopping and bargain hunting, I thought I might miss being constantly on the look out for a bargain, the thrill of the chase, but so far I haven't. When I enter a shop, or help out in Oxfam, I am normally on the alert for the perfect dress or a necklace that would be useful. But now I can just look and admire, without 'would it suit me?' or 'should I buy it?' It feels more relaxing and so far I haven't felt at all tempted to buy anything.

It also has made shopping with my children more pleasurable. A couple of weeks ago I went shopping with my youngest son, who needed new shoes and a coat for school. One of the shops that we went into was  TK Maxx - normally I leave him browsing for a bit to dive off and rummage through the dresses to see what I can find. However, on this occasion I gave him my full attention and browsed with him for the things he needed which made it more enjoyable for both of us.

What did I buy that was necessary?

Food, some toiletries for the family, cleaning stuff. School books for my older children, school shoes for my youngest. Crate, lead and a couple of toys for the dog.


Have I saved money?

As I mentioned in my first post, saving money wasn't the main objective of the exercise, but it would be interesting to see how it pans out. Looking at what we spent in September this year compared to last it's not that different, but we have spent quite a bit of money on the puppy (food, vets bills, insurance), so I think the pattern of spending has changed. I also feel I'm getting through less cash, so I think probably spending on all those unnecessary little bits and bobs has reduced, but it will be clearer over a longer time period.

Any downside?

Very little so far, but I can see a challenge coming up as birthdays and Christmas approaches. My idea is to extend my not buying 'things' as presents which limits me to things I have already, experiences and money.  So far I have had one friend with a birthday - luckily I had something tucked away in my present cupboard which I thought she would like. The teenagers in my life won't be a problem as they will love having cash to make their own decisions, but as we come up to Christmas I can see that it will be a challenge to find gifts that my friends will enjoy and appreciate without buying them more 'stuff' that they probably don't need. 

So the story so far ? 

So far, so good. I feel more relaxed, have probably spent less money and have avoided accumulating more possessions that I really don't need. Just another ten and a half months to go...













No comments:

Post a Comment